Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Properties of Sandalwood

The Sandalwood tree (Santalum spicatum) grows in the semi arid areas of Western Australia and produces a top quality in demand oil that captures the romance and essence of the outback. These Sandalwood plantations are an example of a growing rural industry that offers ongoing opportunities by encouraging a wide range of innovative sustainable Sandalwood product applications that can be developed. These are native Sandalwood trees that historically are known to have ability to grow well and easily in this region.

Australian Sandalwood has many unique beneficial properties. It has a fragrant, sweet, woody, smoky, earthy scent. It's known qualities include being aphrodisiac, anti depressive, anti fungal anti bacterial, anti microbial, reduction of blood pressure, improving a variety of skin conditions, helping reach a meditative state, creating a calming effect. It can deter many ants and bugs. Research is being undertaken regarding application and beneficial effects on skin cancers.

This article aims to explain why the industry has a healthy future and why there is such a demand for quality Australian Sandalwood products and such good prospects for new applications.

Why West Australian farmers should consider planting Sandalwood.

New Sandalwood plantations are proving to be a wise direction for local farmers and the profitable investment it promises will be of added benefit due to the more natural and efficient use of existing farmland.

Originally the whole district around Pingelly was covered in native Sandalwood trees. These valuable trees were felled and their fragrant wood exported to Asia where it is highly treasured, as part of a process of clearing the land for growing food crops such as wheat and barley.

Government policies at the time were that land could be obtained for farming but it had to be completely cleared. This meant that even areas that were rocky, hilly and otherwise unsuitable for growing crops had to be cleared too.

Over time, the effects of this have proved to be problematic. The lack of sufficient trees has caused a reduction in local rainfall, lowered the diversity of native flora and fauna and increased soil erosion and salinity.

Planting of Santalum spicatum as a sustainable crop can help counter these issues over time. All Sandalwood trees require host plants because the Sandalwood is parasitic by nature. Ideally this requirement should encourage the seed planting of a wide variety of native, local species of shrubs and trees. This aspect will encourage native wildlife to increase, recreating a greater biodiversity than exists at present.

Sandalwood can also be grown in farming areas unsuitable for broad acre cultivation. In many cases it can be grown where the crops have become commercially unviable. This makes better use of the land and the income gained from harvesting the Sandalwood can help support the farming community by supplementing the often dwindling and uncertain income being made from growing grains. It also offers the prospect of more employment opportunities for local people regarding the work involved in cultivation and harvesting.

The Sandalwood trees can be expected to begin returning on the investment at around 5 years for producing nuts and around 20 years for harvesting the oil. Although this is a fairly long time, the financial returns are very profitable. Another benefit is that which comes from the planting of trees, so helping create an environment for improving regular rainfall. This may result in returning to better weather patterns which existed before the land was originally cleared.

"Will Sandalwood plantations affect our food supply?"

This is a sustainable industry that does not require clearing virgin bush land in order to start plantations. It does not need to use existing fertile, productive farmland. Ideally it is able to be cultivated in harmony with the existing natural environment and to utilise land otherwise unviable for food production. Having said that, the Sandalwood tree produces bountiful, edible, nutritious nuts that may result in the crop that becoming a considerable and beneficial contribution to the Australian food industry.

The demand for good quality Australian products is high.

The main commercial areas of Australian Sandalwood's potential are the perfume, therapeutic and medical industries due to the many benefits it offers.

The world's perfume industry has traditionally been a major buyer of top grade Sandalwood oil, as is the therapeutic essential oil industry and the incense trade makes good uses of the lower grade of Sandalwood products.

New applications of Australian Sandalwood are being discovered continuously and the future developments offered by this exciting industry are positive, sustainable and beneficial.

1 comment:

  1. I want to write a little testimony about the good work of doctor ehiaguna who cured me from Hsv 1 and 2 for just 2 week with his herbal medicine, I never believe I can be normal again and have a good life like others I always regretted the day I got diagnose with the virus, I was lost of hope when my doctor told me there is no cure for it but I keep thinking and thinking about my future, if I can have kids of my own well I am so grateful for my helper who get me cured with his herbal medicine, I go online in search of anything that can help me because I can’t deal with it forever so I found this doc ehiaguna email on a blog of someone who was cured by him I quickly contact him for help and explain all my pain to him, he told me not to worry about it there is cure for real, I never believe until he send me the herbal medicine when I order for it and I have it within 4 days that is how I took the medicine for 2 week and the following week I go for test just to confirm I was 100% cured from this sickness what a miracle in my life I am so happy right now, you can also get in contact with him if you have such sickness through drehiaguna@gmail.com and also WhatsApp him +2348073908953... And He also have herbs medicine to cured the following diseases; eczema,urethra wart,chronic problems.Herpes, Cancer, Als,Hepatitis, Diabetes, HPV,Infections,ulcer  ETC

    ReplyDelete